United Way of Greater New Bedford’s Hunger Heroes Project began as a Thanksgiving packaging event the whole family could get involved with on Family Volunteer Day, where volunteers gather to sort and package 1,000 Thanksgiving meals for families in need in our community. After six successful years organizing this event, we are now introducing the 1st Annual Hunger Heroes: Spring Edition! This event will serve local school-aged children with nutritious packaged meals and snacks to keep students fed over the spring vacation. All meal packs will be distributed by the local public schools.
Registration for Hunger Heroes: Spring Edition 2021 will open on Friday, March 19th at 9am at www.volunteersouthcoast.org/aem.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, space is limited and we ask that volunteers only sign up for 1 shift and that community groups do not register for this event. If you have a community group looking to give back, please contact Meighread at firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-994-9625 ext. 228.
Click here to view Tips for registering
*UPDATE* Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are only able to have 50 people on site at a time. We are also taking the following precautions to ensure the safety of all volunteers and staff:
- All volunteers and staff are required to wear masks the entire duration of their shift
- All volunteers and staff are required to wear gloves when handling food items
- Hand sanitizing stations will be visible throughout the space and volunteers and staff are encourage to sanitize or wash hands frequently
- Upon arrival, volunteers and staff will be asked to complete a short form confirming they do not have any COVID-19 symptoms, they have not been out of state, and they have not tested positive for COVID-19 in the two weeks prior to the event. In addition, everyone will have their temperature taken prior to entering the venue.
- Social distancing will be implemented throughout the event.
Additionally, for those of you who have been in the past, the set-up of the event will change. Instead of one large packing assembly line, we will be breaking into 2 separate lines. Each line will have sorters/packers and meal wrappers assigned to it to further implement social distancing.
- Muscle Marvels & Sorting Superheroes will work to unload the boxes of collected food off of the Hunger Commission Truck. Once all food is unloaded, volunteers will unpack the boxes and sort food items. This opportunity is for volunteers 15 and older only.
- Meal Champions are responsible for packaging the meal items on the “shopping list” and adding flair with a hand-decorated activity card. This opportunity is for volunteers of any age.
- Order Restoring Squad will help with the final pieces of the day. Making sure everything is loaded onto the trucks, remaining boxes are broken down, and the gym is returned to order.
- Make a donation to Hunger Heroes to allow us to purchase the additional food items we need. Click here to donate.
- Purchase items off our Hunger Heroes: Spring Edition Amazon List – items can be sent directly to our office. Click here to view the list.
- Host a food drive at your company or with friends and family – contact Meighread at email@example.com to get started today.
Thank you to our sponsors!