Giving long-term (owned more than a year), appreciated securities may provide greater benefits to you and United Way!

    Simple Steps for Giving a Gift of Securities to United Way

    If you would like to make a gift of stock to United Way of Greater New Bedford, we would be happy to provide stock transfer instructions to you. It is a simple straightforward process.

    You can call or write to your broker and ask them to initiate a “broker to broker” transfer. You would instruct your broker to donate the stock directly to United Way of Greater New Bedford. United Way will provide you with the name of our brokerage firm, the brokerage firm’s DTC number, the account name and number, and the telephone number and name of our broker contact at the firm. Your broker can then transfer the securities directly to the United Way’s account. It is important that the securities be transferred directly to United Way’s account prior to being sold in order to avoid capital gains taxation.

    For more information on how to complete this transaction, please have your stock certificate information available and contact Jen Bates at or 508-994-9625 x224 or Michelle Hantman at or ext. 212.