IMAGINE that you were expecting your first child, you have no family locally to help you, and are newer to the area. You have no idea what a baby really needs, and have at least a million and one questions like – What are the necessities my baby needs? What is the best way for my baby to sleep? Am I feeding my baby enough? What ways can I start teaching my baby? Are there any programs or support groups that can answer my questions?
Having a baby is a exciting, but scary time for any parent – especially if you are in a situation like this. United Way’s Women United is doing their part to help families with new babies with thier Baby Bundles program. In 2019, Women United started Baby Bundles as a way to provide new moms the answers to some of the questions about their babies and a few necessities that will get them started. Last year, 100 babies were welcomed with a Baby Bundle at Wareham Nurse Midwives and the Greater New Bedford Health Center.
So what exactly is in a Baby Bundle for new babies?
Baby Bundles includes a package of diapers, a package of wipes, a burp cloth, bib, pacifier, small toy/teether, wash cloths, a baby book, baby blanket, stuffed animal, and of course no Baby Bundle would be complete without a little United Way swag, so we include a Live United onsie and bib for the new baby. We also provide literature about safe sleeping, early learning/literacy and on local programs like our Family Resource & Development Center, WIC, and FamilyWize.
How can I help?
It’s easy to be a part of Baby Bundles!
- Make a $50 donation to purchase the items for 1 Baby Bundle.
- Pick up a few items on your next run to the store and bring the to United Way or drop at any one of our Baby Bundle Drives – full list below.
- Purchase items right from our baby registries and have them sent right to United Way. We are registered at: Target, Walmart, or Amazon.
- Host a Baby Bundle Drive at your company, office, store, with family & friends, etc! Click here to get started.
If I am a new mom (or soon to be mom) looking for help, what should I do?
Visit our Family Resource & Development Center located at 128 Union St. 3rd Floor, New Bedford. Any family with a child under 18 is welcome to the services provided by the FRDC – whether you are looking for a parent support group, information on other local programs, or help filing for WIC, we’re here to help. The FRDC also has computers available for clients to do job or housing searches. You can call to make an appointment – 508-994-4521 OR stop by Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5 pm (some Saturdays 8:30-noon, call for details.)
Who is hosting a Baby Bundle Drive?
- Acorn Management Sites
- American Family Care (AFC)
- Anne Whiting Real Estate
- Black Tie Cookies
- Boutique Fitness
- Buttonwood Park Zoo
- Care Free Homes
- Coastal New England Federal Credit Union
- First Citizens’ Federal Credit Union
- Healthy Bites
- Lafrance Hospitality – Waypoint, Merrill’s on the Wharf & Rosebrook
- Neto Insurance
- New Bedford Credit Union
- NFI Corp
- ReMax Vantage
- Salon B
- Taunton Federal Credit Union
- The Polished Look
- The Wash House Salon
- Webster Bank (South Dartmouth)