The New Bedford Strengthening Families (NBSF) AmeriCorps Program is an AmeriCorps State program led by United Way of Greater New Bedford. AmeriCorps is a national service program where members provide service to make people safer, stronger, and healthier to strengthen their communities. AmeriCorps members serving at different host sites implement evidence-based interventions that strengthen families, with a focus on preventing child abuse and neglect. The NBSF AmeriCorps program is based in the Strengthening Families Protective Factors Framework that centers on five interrelated family protective factors: knowledge of parenting and child development, concrete supports in times of need, social connections, social and emotional competence of children, and parental resilience.
The goals of the program include that members use the following to provide support and services to New Bedford parents and caregivers:
- Nurturing Parenting Programs: A family-centered trauma-informed initiative designed to build nurturing parenting skills as an alternative to abusive and neglecting parenting and child-rearing practices.
- Concrete Support in Times of Need: Anti-poverty services including connections to social services, supports for basic needs, and public benefit programs.
- Parent Cafes: Structured discussions that use the principles of adult learning and family support where parents and caregivers talk about the challenges and victories of raising a family
- Parent/Child Activities: Opportunities for parents and children to get together to increase social connections, learn something new, and have fun!
Our host site partners include:
- Community Economic Development Center
- Family Resource and Development Center
- Immigrants’ Assistance Center
- New Bedford Housing Authority
- People Acting in Community Endeavors (PACE), Inc.
- Positive Action Against Chemical Addiction (PAACA)
- United Way of Greater New Bedford
We’re recruiting! Both full and part-time opportunities are available. To learn more, visit our Careers Page. To apply for a position in the NBSF program complete the application by clicking here.
For more information on the NBSF AmeriCorps Program please contact Stan Brajer at 508-994-4521 or firstname.lastname@example.org