United Way of Greater New Bedford leads and operates, in partnership with the New Bedford Police Department the New Bedford’s Shannon (NBS). With funding provided by the Commonwealth, these programs combine best practices in public safety and public health to help reduce and eliminate youth gang violence in the City of New Bedford. NBS is supported with funds provided by the Charles E. Shannon Community Safety Initiative from the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security.
NBS represents a network of community members and organizations dedicated to building a safer community by delivering intervention services and supports to at risk individual’s ages 10 – 24 years in the City of New Bedford. NBS’s program model focuses on the core components of the Comprehensive Gang Model, including a Street Outreach/Case Management Team and a coordinated law enforcement response through targeted suppression and prosecution. The goal of NBS is to prevent the onset or further escalation of gang involvement and serious delinquency in New Bedford among moderate and high-risk youth.
New Bedford Shannon’s Outreach/Case Management Services
NBS’s Outreach/Case Managers who have the “pulse” of the community provide a range of prevention and intervention services to young people identified by local schools, the courts, law enforcement and others of being at risk of becoming involved in gang activity.
Services provided to the community, include:
- Street Outreach in “hot spots” in the community
- Responding to critical incidences of youth violence any time of day/night
Services offered to Shannon eligible youth, ages 10 – 24 include:
- Assistance and referrals for a broad range of supports, such as substance abuse and mental health counseling, family support, educational, vocational, and employment services
- Wrap – around case management
- Community volunteer opportunities
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Life Skills
- Summer Jobs Program for youth 16-24
- Pro-social activities and programming
To make a referral or to get more information about the New Bedford Shannon Program, Contact the NBS Program Director, Renee Ledbetter at 508-742-6971 or email@example.com.
New Bedford Shannon is located at 376 Nash Road, New Bedford